CrimeTeens sentenced for disorder in Bolton

Teens sentenced for disorder in Bolton

Two teenagers have been sentenced for disorder in Bolton in which officers were spat on.

Officers policing the violent disorder on Sunday, August 4, were met with hostile crowds as they worked to prevent the unrest and protect the local communities.

In one incident, a group of around 15-20 youths surrounded a police sergeant carrying out liaison duties, with one 14-year-old male spitting directly in his face before running away.

Following extensive CCTV work, the teenager, who can’t be named for legal reasons, was identified and brought before the courts where he subsequently pleaded guilty to violent disorder and assaulting an emergency worker.

He was referred to a youth offender panel for a total of nine months, with a parent / guardian required to attend the meeting and must pay compensation of £100.

In the same incident, a 15-year-old male stole an officer’s operational hat and was seen running away from the scene. He was later spotted throwing a bottle at another group of officers. He was ordered to pay costs of £85 in addition to a surcharge of £26. He must additionally follow a curfew between 9.30pm and 5am daily, and must present himself to an officers who asks to see them between those times, for a period of three months.

They have additionally been referred to a youth offender panel for a period of 12 months and must pay compensation of £500.

Both were dealt with at Manchester and Salford Magistrates court, on Monday and Tuesday .

Detective inspector Paul Costello said: “The violence we saw against officers during the unrest over the summer was utterly deplorable. These men and women left their families each day to protect the communities which they serve day-in, day-out, and to see them spat on, attacked, and assaulted during their tour of duties was sickening.

“These two teenagers were part of a wider group which degraded and attacked an officer carrying out his job. These sort of incidents are disgusting to see and we continue to investigate all instances of violence from the summer disorder in Bolton and indeed across Greater Manchester. This has seen us secure more than one hundred arrests and charges, with lots of work still to come.

“As we continue with our work, I would urge anyone with any information about any of the incident across Greater Manchester to please get in touch.”

Mike Peake, chair of Greater Manchester Police Federation, said: “1,861 officers in GMP were assaulted last year. That’s an average of more than 35 every week. More than five every single day.

“Police officers are not robots. We are mothers and fathers. Sons and daughters. Husbands, wives and partners. We should not come under attack for doing our difficult job. 

“We are not society’s punchbags – and those assaulting police officers should face severe consequences every day of the year.”

Information about disorder can be submitted via police portals

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Relief after Google's description of Holocaust survivor Ike Alterman as 'fictional character' disappears

Jewish leaders are calling on the US tech company to apologise22:48, 23 May 2026Updated 23:43, 23 May 2026"Second, I knew him as the director...

Man United transfer news: Yan Diomande decision, Ederson update, Sandro Tonali latest

Manchester United academy star Malachi Sharpe has confirmed his departure from the club.In a post to Instagram, he said: "After 5 years my time...

White House 'on lockdown' as gunshots rings out and people rushed inside

It is currently unclear where the gunshots have originated from and what the security incident is in relation toPeter Hennessy UK & World News...

Manchester United confirm Michael Carrick's backroom staff as full list announced

Man Utd have announced the make-up of Michael Carrick's coaching staff after his appointment as head coachMichael Carrick's backroom staff of Steve Holland, Jonathan...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

White House 'on lockdown' as gunshots rings out and people rushed inside

It is currently unclear where the gunshots have originated from and what the security incident is in relation toPeter Hennessy UK & World News...

Manchester director’s guide to the first 7 days after receiving a winding-up petition

For Manchester company directors facing a winding-up petition for the first time, few documents carry greater legal and commercial significance. Yet despite the seriousness...

Body found in search for missing 14-year-old schoolboy from Stoke-on-Trent

A body has been found in the search for missing 14-year-old Tyler from Stoke-on-Trent, who was last seen on SundayRob Andrews and Olivia Beeson...

Paris Fury issues plea to fans over Netflix series At Home With The Furys

The Netflix series followed the lives of Paris, Tyson and their seven childrenThe synopsis for the second season of At Home With The Furys...

More News

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

Teenager arrested after proactive drug dealing operation in Chorlton

A teenage boy was arrested by South Manchester police following a proactive plain clothes operation to combat drug dealing in the area. Officers headed to...

Fake ‘luxury’ goods worth £3 million found in trading standards raid

More than 5,000 fake luxury goods worth £3.1 million have been uncovered in Bury by trading standards officers. The huge haul was discovered in raids...