CrimeOfficer convicted for assault after grabbing teenager by throat

Officer convicted for assault after grabbing teenager by throat

An officer who grabbed an innocent teenager by the throat has been convicted of assault following an investigation by Greater Manchester Police’s dedicated unit for professional standards.

PC Benjamin Heppenstall (33), who is based in Wigan district, was today convicted of assault occasioning actual bodily harm of a 16-year-old boy while on duty in January 2021.

Over the five-day hearing, the jury at Bolton Crown Court was played video footage taken from PC Heppenstall’s body-worn camera which showed the entirety of the assault.

He had responded to an incident at a care home for young people in Wigan where threats had been allegedly made to two women who worked there.

After arresting two suspects, and with the two workers physically unharmed and present in the room, PC Heppenstall told a 16-year-old boy, who was sitting near the suspects on a sofa, to get out of the room and “go to bed.”

The boy refused, and PC Heppenstall proceeded to initially try and pull the boy up from the sofa by his arm, before then putting his hand forcefully around the boy’s neck and being verbally abusive.

Such was PC Heppenstall’s grip on the victim, he tore the boy’s t-shirt and pulled it off him before then forcefully grabbing his neck a second time, which resulted in the boy being injured and one of the workers, who was one of the initial victims, trying to intervene and pull PC Heppenstall away.

The Professional Standards Directorate received a formal complaint about the incident and investigators worked to secure evidence, including PC Heppenstall’s body-worn footage and witness statements, to build a case for assault.

PC Heppenstall’s duties were suspended in January 2021. Following today’s verdict, he faces being suspended from the force, which is now preparing misconduct proceedings. He will be sentenced on November 27.

Detective chief inspector Iqbal Ahmed said: “This was a shocking use of unnecessary and excessive force by Benjamin Heppenstall on a defenceless teenage boy who absolutely should not have been treated this way.

“Our officers have a really challenging role and are faced with instances that the general public will never experience. However, officers are trained to act professionally and proportionately, and it is clear here that PC Heppenstall acted beyond what was necessary when faced with a verbal refusal by the boy to do what he had told him to do.

“A significant part of this case was the body-worn footage captured on PC Heppenstall’s camera, which goes to show that this important equipment – which every frontline officer has – is not just for their protection, but also for the public’s protection too.

“The public need to have trust and confidence in our officers – thousands of whom are professional and compassionate people who serve the people of Greater Manchester each and every day. However, Heppenstall’s actions do not represent this, and it is thanks to the dedication of the Professional Standards Directorate at GMP that we have done our job in ensuring he his brought to justice for this actions.”

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Makerfield by-election LIVE as first poll shows Andy Burnham and Reform in knife-edge race

The Liberal Democrats have announced the party's candidate for the upcoming Makerfield by-election as Stockport councillor Jake Austin.Councillor Austin was born in the constituency...

Jet2 flight from Tenerife in mid-air 'chaos' as pilot suffers medical emergency

A Jet2 flight from Tenerife to Birmingham was forced to divert to Porto after the pilot suffered a suspected heart attack mid-air22:04, 23 May...

Keir Starmer insists 'our plan is working' and says he will 'keep pushing forward'

Sir Keir Starmer plans to remain as Prime Minister, despite calls to quitDespite Sir Keir’s claims of success, both Mr Burnham and Mr Streeting...

'Aggressive' dog trapped elderly lady before attempting to bite police officer

The attending officer was able to control the dog without it causing injury"During this incident, the Belgian Malinois displayed aggressive behaviour towards members of...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

DWP bank holiday benefit payment changes affecting claimants next week

Affected claimants will need to make their money last longer due to the upcoming bank holiday date Payments due on May 25 will be affected(Image:...

Manchester director’s guide to the first 7 days after receiving a winding-up petition

For Manchester company directors facing a winding-up petition for the first time, few documents carry greater legal and commercial significance. Yet despite the seriousness...

Pep Guardiola to leave Man City LIVE updates and reaction as exit confirmed

Guardiola will miss Manchester, and Manchester will miss Guardiola. Well, the blue half will anyway.As the manager conducted his final pre-match press conference after...

M6 crash sees major motorway hit by delays after all traffic stopped

There were major delays on the M6 motorway on Saturday night after a crash involving four cars. All lanes were shut on the motorway...

More News

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

Teenager arrested after proactive drug dealing operation in Chorlton

A teenage boy was arrested by South Manchester police following a proactive plain clothes operation to combat drug dealing in the area. Officers headed to...

Fake ‘luxury’ goods worth £3 million found in trading standards raid

More than 5,000 fake luxury goods worth £3.1 million have been uncovered in Bury by trading standards officers. The huge haul was discovered in raids...