9.6 C
Manchester
Friday, April 4, 2025
Other SportsFormula One: Hulkenberg confirmed as Audi's first driver as German swaps Haas...

Formula One: Hulkenberg confirmed as Audi’s first driver as German swaps Haas for Sauber

Nico Hulkenberg says he is “honoured” to be confirmed as Audi’s first Formula One driver, agreeing to join Sauber in 2025 before the team is taken over by the German manufacturer for 2026.

Hulkenberg went three years without a permanent spot on the grid after leaving Renault at the end of the 2019 season but has impressed since joining Haas in 2023.

He currently sits 13th in the drivers’ championship standings – an improvement on last year’s placing of 16th – and has made the top 10 in three of the first five races of 2024.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Manchester United star Rashford says ‘enough is enough’ after ‘months of abuse’
Emma Raducanu ‘mentally and emotionally exhausted’ after Madrid Open defeat
Hearn demands Sheffield provides bigger venue for World Snooker Championship

On Friday, Haas confirmed Hulkenberg will leave the team at the end of this season, and Sauber subsequently announced he had signed a “multi-year” contract with them.

That means the 36-year-old German – who has also driven for Williams, Force India and Aston Martin – will line up for Audi in their inaugural season when they take over Sauber for 2026.

Writing on X after his move was announced, Hulkenberg said: “I am thrilled and honoured to return to Stake F1 Team KICK Sauber in 2025 and to represent the global German car manufacturer and technology pioneer Audi on its way into Formula 1.

“It’s a big project with high ambitions and a huge challenge, a challenge that I am very much looking forward to.

“The conversations with Andreas Seidl and Oliver Hoffmann were very trustful, characterised by a lot of appreciation and mutual understanding regarding the common goals.

“At the same time, I would like to express a special thank you to the entire Haas F1 Team for placing their trust in me and making a comeback in F1 possible. I will do everything I can in the remaining 19 races to be as successful as possible.”

The signing of Hulkenberg means at least one of Valtteri Bottas and Zhou Guanyu – Sauber’s current pairing – will be without a drive for next year.

Audi are reportedly keen to secure outgoing Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz alongside Hulkenberg for 2026, while the Scuderia’s junior driver Oliver Bearman has been linked with a move to Haas.

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest

Enviro Waste Management Reveals New Brand Identity with Commercial-Only Focus

Enviro Waste Management has announced a comprehensive rebrand to solidify its position as a dedicated provider of commercial waste services. Having previously offered solutions...

Manchester-Based Tooltap Introduces Community Equipment Rental Platform

A new digital service in Manchester is offering residents affordable access to tools and specialist equipment, eliminating the need for ownership. Tooltap Manchester, a locally...

Manchester launches vision for new national hub for hydrogen

Manchester is placing itself in prime position to become the home of a new national facility that will be central to the UK’s ambition...

Garden centre run by one family for six decades, up for sale

A garden centre that has been run by the same family for 60 years, is now in need of a new owner. Business property adviser,...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Argella Moves Global Base to Dubai, Strengthening Focus on Digital and AI Growth

Technology advisory firm Argella has announced the relocation of its global headquarters from London to Dubai, cementing its commitment to the region as a...

Investigation launched into a stabbing at Alexandra Road retail park

An investigation is underway after a 19-year-old man was stabbed at Alexandra Road retail park yesterday afternoon. The victim was taken to hospital with serious...

Manchester-Based Tooltap Introduces Community Equipment Rental Platform

A new digital service in Manchester is offering residents affordable access to tools and specialist equipment, eliminating the need for ownership. Tooltap Manchester, a locally...

Economic survey reveals inflation is ‘number one concern’ for Greater Manchester businesses

Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce has released the findings of its Quarterly Economic Survey, providing a decisive snapshot of the region's economic health amidst...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...