10 C
Manchester
Friday, April 4, 2025
Other SportsHearn demands Sheffield provides bigger venue for World Snooker Championship

Hearn demands Sheffield provides bigger venue for World Snooker Championship

Barry Hearn has all but confirmed the World Snooker Championship will move from the Crucible Theatre in 2027 – and warned it could leave Sheffield altogether unless the local council provides a bigger venue.

The Crucible has staged snooker’s biggest event since 1977 and is regarded as one of the most iconic venues in UK sport. Its contract to stage the World Championship expires in three years’ time.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Nadal uncertain about 2024 French Open
Haaland to miss Seagulls showdown
Tevez hospitalised in Argentina

And with Hearn admitting “it’s all about the money”, the former World Snooker chairman and president of Matchroom is now eyeing a venue that can offer greater financial possibilities.

Ideally, that would be in Sheffield but Hearn says that requires the buy-in of Sheffield City Council.

He told the BBC: “I am doing absolutely everything I can to stay in Sheffield and it takes two to tango. I’ll stay here while we’re wanted, and I think we’re wanted.

“But they’ve got to be realistic. We’ve said for the last few years we need a new venue that seats 2,500 to 3,000 people.

“I’m looking for Sheffield to come to the party and if they do, we’re staying. If they don’t, they’re really saying that we don’t want to, so it’s not really my call.”

Conditions at The Crucible have come in for criticism during the ongoing World Championship with Iranian Hossein Vafaei claiming it was “smelly” following his first-round exit.

Seven-time winner Ronnie O’Sullivan, and the sport’s most influential figure, has previously said he would support taking it elsewhere and suggested Saudi Arabia or China, where the prize money would be “astronomical”.

Hearn would be equally happy to break with tradition, adding: “The Crucible has got a fantastic history and it’s been a massive part of my life, but we’ve got to live in the real world.

“There’s a price for everything, whether we like it or not.

“I’d love to tell you we live in a fairy story, but it’s not that simple. In any professional sport played by professional sportsmen, the first demand is prize money and they want to see it as big as possible, and we have a duty to those players.

“I believe next year we go through the £20million prize money, but you must never get complacent in your life and sit down and enjoy the luxury of saying ‘job done’. There’s never enough. It’s all about the money – get used to it.”

Jon Fisher
Jon Fisher
Jon has over 20 years' experience in sports journalism having worked at the Press Association, Goal and Stats Perform, covering three World Cups, an Olympics and numerous other major sporting events.
Latest

Bolton police uncover more than 200 cannabis plants

Police in Bolton uncovered a cannabis farm after a tip-off this morning. A warrant was carried out at Blackshaw House, Thornbank North, at 8.30am. Inside, 220...

People’s History Museum introduces its re-launched venue hire offer

People’s History Museum (PHM) has relaunched its venue hire offer, comprising the very best of both its heritage and contemporary multi-use spaces. The transformation has been...

Manchester prepares to mark VE Day

Celebrations to commemorate the 80th anniversary of VE Day are set to take place throughout Manchester. On May 8, 80 years will have passed since...

Man jailed for campaign of abuse

A man has been jailed for a campaign of physical and sexual abuse. Ryan Schofield (34) of Whiteacre Road, Ashton-under-Lyne, was sentenced to life imprisonment...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Man jailed for campaign of abuse

A man has been jailed for a campaign of physical and sexual abuse. Ryan Schofield (34) of Whiteacre Road, Ashton-under-Lyne, was sentenced to life imprisonment...

Interactive roadshows set to help people identify bowel cancer symptoms

Two interactive roadshows are taking place in Manchester to help people identify the symptoms of bowel cancer. New research reveals that 35% of adults in...

‘Heart of gold’: Darren Orme’s family pay tribute

The family of Darren Orme have paid tribute to him. On March 24, police recovered his body following a search in the Stadium Way area...

Manchester launches vision for new national hub for hydrogen

Manchester is placing itself in prime position to become the home of a new national facility that will be central to the UK’s ambition...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...